Easy-to-use ISL8117 eliminates need for intermediate power conversion stage in industrial applications
May 26, 2015 -- Intersil Corporation (NASDAQ: ISIL), a leading provider of innovative power management and precision analog solutions, introduced the first 60V synchronous buck controller able to bypass the intermediate step-down conversion stage traditionally employed in industrial applications. The ISL8117 synchronous step-down PWM controller’s low duty cycle (40ns minimum on time) enables the direct step-down conversion from 48V to a 1V point-of-load. This technical achievement makes it possible for designers to reduce system complexity and solution cost in industrial, factory automation, medical and communications infrastructure applications.
In high voltage applications where a lower output voltage is required, designers have traditionally relied on modules that increase system cost, or two stage DC/DC solutions that increase solution footprint and complexity. The ISL8117 controller offers a cost-effective and reliable alternative for applications where Vout to Vin ratio is low.
The innovative ISL8117 reduces solution footprint and simplifies design without compromising performance. With the ISL8117, engineers can design a complete DC/DC buck conversion solution with only 10 components, including MOSFETs and passives, and achieve up to 98% conversion efficiency with 1.5% output voltage accuracy.
“The ISL8117 buck controller addresses a growing need for direct POL conversion from very high input voltage such as 48V to 1V output,” said Mark Downing, senior vice president of Infrastructure and Industrial Power Products at Intersil. “The unique ability to support light load efficiency mode is critical in industrial applications and makes the ISL8117 a much better alternative than existing solutions based on older technology.”
Key Features and Specifications
- Wide input voltage range of 4.5V to 60V covers all standard input rails including 5V, 12V, 24V, 36V, 42V and 48V
- Wide voltage output range is configurable from 0.6V to 54V
- Smallest min on time in the market, which enables a very low duty cycle power supply and eliminates the need for a two stage solution in many applications
- Programmable 100kHz to 2MHz switching frequency can be synchronized to reduce radiated system noise and avoid beat frequency issues
- Complete fault protection for long term reliability including over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current and over-temperature
- High current FET drivers and DEM mode operation ensures efficiency at all load levels
- Adjustable soft-start with pre-bias support enables the sequenced startup of multiple ISL8117 controllers
The ISL8117 is available now in 4mm x 4mm QFN and 6.4mm x 5mm HTSSOP packages. Pricing for the QFN package is $1.80 USD and the HTSSOP is $1.95 USD in 1k quantities.
For more information on the ISL8117 60V controller, evaluation boards and demo reference design boards, please visit: www.intersil.com/products/isl8117. Watch a video demonstration of the ISL8117 evaluation and demo boards.