LAFOX, Ill., April 05, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Richardson Electronics, Ltd. (NASDAQ:RELL) today reported financial results for its third quarter ended February 25, 2017. The Company also announced that its Board of Directors declared a $0.06 per share quarterly cash dividend.
Third Quarter Results
Net sales for the third quarter of fiscal 2017 were $32.3 million, an increase of 3.3%, compared to net sales of $31.3 million in the prior year’s third quarter. Sales increased $1.8 million for PMT, primarily due to higher sales from new technology partners in power conversion and RF and microwave components as well as increased sales of specialty products sold into the semiconductor capital equipment market. This increase was partially offset by decreases of $0.4 million in Richardson Healthcare and $0.4 million in Canvys over the same period last year.
Gross margin increased to $10.7 million, or 33.1% of net sales during the third quarter of fiscal 2017, compared to $9.8 million, or 31.2% of net sales during the third quarter of fiscal 2016. Margin improved as a percent of net sales primarily due to higher PMT and Canvys margins as a result of an improved product mix.
Operating expenses decreased to $12.0 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2017, compared to $12.5 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2016. The decrease was due to reduced salaries, benefits and incentive compensation expenses. In addition, IT expenses were lower than in the third quarter of fiscal 2016.
As a result, operating loss for the third quarter of fiscal 2017 was $1.3 million, compared to an operating loss of $2.7 million in the prior year’s third quarter.
Other expense for the both the third quarter of fiscal 2017 and fiscal 2016, including foreign exchange, was $0.1 million.
The income tax benefit of less than $0.1 million during the third quarter of fiscal 2017 reflected an adjustment to the provision for foreign income taxes and no U.S. tax benefit due to the valuation allowance recorded against the net operating loss.
Net loss for the third quarter of fiscal 2017 was $1.4 million, compared to a net loss of $2.9 million in the third quarter of 2016.
FINANCIAL SUMMARY – NINE MONTHS ENDED FEBRUARY 25, 2017
- Net sales for the first nine months of fiscal 2017 were $99.5 million, a decrease of 2.9%, compared to net sales of $102.4 million during the first nine months of fiscal 2016. Sales decreased by $2.9 million for Canvys, primarily due to declines in demand from key customers relating to market conditions.
- Gross margin increased to $31.9 million, or 32.1% of net sales during the first nine months of fiscal 2017, compared to $31.4 million, or 30.7% of net sales during the first nine months of fiscal 2016, mostly as a result of an improved product mix.
- Operating expenses decreased to $37.7 million for the first nine months of fiscal 2017, compared to $37.9 million for the first nine months of fiscal 2016. The first nine months of fiscal 2017 included $1.3 million in severance expense associated with the reduction in work force during the second quarter of fiscal 2017, mostly offset by reduced salaries and incentive compensation expenses. In addition, IT expenses were nearly $0.8 million lower than the first nine months of fiscal 2016.
- Operating loss during the first nine months of fiscal 2017 was $5.8 million, compared to an operating loss of $6.2 million during the first nine months of fiscal 2016. After excluding the severance expense of $1.3 million, the operating loss would have been $4.5 million for the first nine months of fiscal year 2017.
- Other expense for the first nine months of fiscal 2017, including foreign exchange, was $0.2 million, compared to other income of $0.4 million for the first nine months of fiscal 2016.
- The income tax provision of $0.8 million for the first nine months of fiscal 2017 reflected a provision for foreign income taxes and no U.S. tax benefit due to the valuation allowance recorded against the net operating loss.
- Net loss for the first nine months of fiscal 2017 was $6.8 million, compared to a net loss of $6.6 million during the first nine months of fiscal 2016.
The Company also announced today that its Board of Directors declared a $0.06 quarterly dividend per share to holders of common stock and a $0.054 cash dividend per share to holders of Class B common stock. The dividend will be payable on May 24, 2017, to common stockholders of record on May 9, 2017.
Cash and investments at the end of the third quarter of fiscal 2017 were $60.2 million compared to $70.5 million at the end of the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016. During the third quarter of fiscal 2017, the Company did not repurchase any shares of its common stock under the existing share repurchase authorization. Since the sale of RFPD, the Company has spent $65.6 million on share repurchases, nearly $20 million on acquisitions, nearly $19 million on dividends and $5.4 million on purchases of Richardson Healthcare equipment. Currently, there are 10.7 million outstanding shares of common stock and 2.1 million outstanding shares of Class B common stock.
“We are pleased with the increase in net sales and gross margin as well as a decrease in operating expenses in the third quarter of fiscal 2017 as compared to the third quarter of fiscal 2016,” said Edward J. Richardson, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and President. “We continue to focus on initiatives to grow revenue in the healthcare and power and microwave technologies markets, permanently take cost out of the organization, improve cash flow, and return the Company to profitability,” Mr. Richardson concluded.
CONFERENCE CALL INFORMATION
On Thursday, April 6, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. CT, Edward J. Richardson, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, and Robert J. Ben, Chief Financial Officer, will host a conference call to discuss the Company’s third quarter results for fiscal 2017. A question and answer session will be included as part of the call’s agenda. To listen to the call, please dial (888) 419-5570 and enter passcode 94661906 approximately five minutes prior to the start of the call. A replay of the call will be available beginning at 12:00 a.m. CT on April 7, 2017, for seven days. The telephone numbers for the replay are (USA) (888) 286-8010 and (International) (617) 801-6888; passcode 69435224.
This release includes certain “forward-looking” statements as defined by the Securities and Exchange Commission. Statements in this press release regarding the Company’s business which are not historical facts represent “forward-looking” statements that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see Item 1A, “Risk Factors” in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on July 29, 2016. The Company assumes no responsibility to update the “forward-looking” statements in this release as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
ABOUT RICHARDSON ELECTRONICS, LTD.
Richardson Electronics, Ltd. is a leading global provider of engineered solutions, power grid and microwave tubes and related consumables; power conversion and RF and microwave components; high value displays, flat panel detector solutions and replacement parts for diagnostic imaging equipment; and customized display solutions. We serve customers in the alternative energy, healthcare, aviation, broadcast, communications, industrial, marine, medical, military, scientific and semiconductor markets. The Company’s strategy is to provide specialized technical expertise and “engineered solutions” based on our core engineering and manufacturing capabilities. The Company provides solutions and adds value through design-in support, systems integration, prototype design and manufacturing, testing, logistics, and aftermarket technical service and repair through its global infrastructure. More information is available at www.rell.com.
Richardson Electronics common stock trades on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the ticker symbol RELL.
|Richardson Electronics, Ltd.|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(in thousands, except per share amounts)|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||51,386||$||60,454|
|Accounts receivable, less allowance of $375 and $364||21,240||24,928|
|Prepaid expenses and other assets||2,647||1,758|
|Deferred income taxes||—||1,078|
|Income tax receivable||22||17|
|Investments - current||6,399||2,268|
|Total current assets||124,554||135,925|
|Property, plant and equipment, net||15,208||12,986|
|Intangible assets, net||3,528||3,818|
|Non-current deferred income taxes||1,305||1,270|
|Investments - non-current||2,395||7,799|
|Total non-current assets||28,768||32,205|
|Liabilities and Stockholders’ Equity|
|Total current liabilities||21,064||24,031|
|Non-current deferred income tax liabilities||275||1,457|
|Other non-current liabilities||696||967|
|Total non-current liabilities||971||2,424|
|Common stock, $0.05 par value; issued and outstanding 10,708 shares at February 25, 2017, and 10,703 shares at May 28, 2016||535||535|
|Class B common stock, convertible, $0.05 par value; issued and outstanding 2,141 shares at February 25, 2017, and at May 28, 2016||107||107|
|Preferred stock, $1.00 par value, no shares issued||—||—|
|Common stock in treasury, at cost, no shares at February 25, 2017, and at May 28, 2016||—||—|
|Accumulated other comprehensive income||1,076||2,772|
|Total stockholders’ equity||131,287||141,675|
|Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity||$||153,322||$||168,130|