- Record net revenue of $263.9 million, up 6% sequentially and up 26% year-over-year
- GAAP gross margin 58.6% and non-GAAP gross margin 62.8%, up 140 bps and 110 bps from previous quarter, respectively
CARLSBAD, Calif. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — April 27, 2022 — MaxLinear, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXL), a leading provider of RF, analog, digital and mixed-signal integrated circuits, today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2022.
First Quarter Financial Highlights
- Net revenue was $263.9 million, up 6% sequentially and up 26% year-over-year.
- GAAP gross margin was 58.6%, compared to 57.2% in the prior quarter, and 53.4% in the year-ago quarter.
- GAAP operating expenses were $106.5 million in the first quarter 2022, or 40% of net revenue, compared to $112.4 million in the prior quarter, or 45% of net revenue, and $101.8 million in the year-ago quarter, or 49% of net revenue.
- GAAP income from operations was 18% of revenue, compared to income from operations of 12% in the prior quarter, and income from operations of 5% in the year-ago quarter.
- Net cash flow provided by operating activities was $134.2 million, compared to net cash flow provided by operating activities of $16.0 million in the prior quarter, and net cash flow provided by operating activities of $40.3 million in the year-ago quarter.
- GAAP diluted earnings per share was $0.42, compared to diluted earnings per share of $0.35 in the prior quarter, and diluted earnings per share of $0.05 in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP gross margin was 62.8%. This compares to 61.7% in the prior quarter, and 58.6% in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP operating expenses were $77.3 million, or 29% of revenue, compared to $75.9 million or 31% of revenue in the prior quarter, and $72.6 million or 35% of revenue in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP income from operations was 33% of revenue, compared to 31% in the prior quarter, and 24% in the year-ago quarter.
- Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was $1.00, compared to diluted earnings per share of $0.86 in the prior quarter, and diluted earnings per share of $0.55 in the year-ago quarter.
“In the first quarter, revenue was up 6% sequentially and up 26% year-over-year, driven by strong growth across all our markets, and in particular, our connectivity market, which grew 14% sequentially. Our Wi-Fi growth has continued to be robust as we continue to win market share based on our leading differentiated feature set. We are confident in our ability to more than double this business in 2022, and are on a firm trajectory to deliver at least $200 million of Wi-Fi revenue in 2023. Along with the market share wins, we are also making tremendous progress in continued innovation for next generation Wi-Fi 7, which will drive future growth opportunities. Cash flow from operations was approximately $134.2 million, and non-GAAP gross margin for Q1 improved to 62.8%. We are excited about our prospects for continued future growth driven by our comprehensive product portfolio, and the accelerating pace of new product launches particularly in connectivity, fiber-to-the home broadband, optical, and wireless infrastructure markets,” commented Kishore Seendripu, Ph.D., Chairman and CEO.
Second Quarter 2022 Business Outlook
The company expects revenue in the second quarter 2022 to be approximately $275 million to $285 million. The Company also estimates the following:
- GAAP gross margin of approximately 57% to 59%;
- Non-GAAP gross margin of approximately 61% to 63%;
- GAAP operating expenses of approximately $112 million to $118 million;
- Non-GAAP operating expenses of approximately $80 million to $86 million;
- GAAP and non-GAAP interest and other expense of approximately $3 million.
Webcast and Conference Call
MaxLinear will host its first quarter financial results conference call today, April 27, 2022 at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time (4:30 p.m. Eastern Time). To access this call, dial US toll free: 1-877-407-3109 / International: 1-201-493-6798. A live webcast of the conference call will be accessible from the investor relations section of the MaxLinear website at https://investors.maxlinear.com, and will be archived and available after the call at https://investors.maxlinear.com until May 11, 2022. A replay of the conference call will also be available until May 11, 2022 by dialing US toll free: 1-877-660-6853 / International: 1-201-612-7415 and Conference ID#: 13728910.
Cautionary Note Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Forward-looking statements include, among others, statements concerning our future financial performance (including specifically our current guidance for second quarter 2022 revenue, gross margins, operating expenses, and interest and other expenses, as well as statements with respect to confidence in the Company’s outlook for second quarter 2022) and statements concerning expectations of potential developments in our target markets, including (without limitation) management’s views with respect to the prospects for and trends in our broadband, connectivity and infrastructure markets, and in particular, expectations concerning the development of our Wi-Fi market, including the Company’s ability to continue to increase market share and drive future growth opportunities in such market. These forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from any future results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements and our future financial performance and operating results forecasts generally. These forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from any future results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on management’s current, preliminary expectations and are subject to various risks and uncertainties. In particular, our future operating results are substantially dependent on our assumptions about market trends and conditions. Additional risks and uncertainties affecting our business, future operating results and financial condition include, without limitation, intense competition in our industry; increasing supply chain risks within our industry, including increases in shipping and material costs and substantial shipping delays resulting in extended lead-times; inflation trends in our supply chain and in the global economy generally; uncertainties concerning the outcome of global trade negotiations, export control limitations, and heightened geopolitical risks generally; our dependence on a limited number of customers for a substantial portion of our revenues; potential decreases in average selling prices for our products; our ability to develop and introduce new and enhanced products on a timely basis and achieve market acceptance of those products, particularly as we seek to expand outside of our historic markets; potential uncertainties arising from continued consolidation among cable television and satellite operators in our target markets and continued consolidation among competitors within the semiconductor industry generally; uncertainties concerning how end user markets for our products will develop, including in particular markets we have entered more recently such as broadband, Wi-Fi and 5G wireless and fiber-optic data center high-speed interconnect infrastructure markets but also existing markets; the impact of our indebtedness and limitations on our operating flexibility based on financial and operating covenants in the applicable term loan agreements, including (without limitation) debt covenant restrictions that may limit our ability to obtain additional financing, granting liens, undergoing certain fundamental changes, or making investments or certain restricted payments, and selling assets; risks relating to intellectual property protection and the prevalence of intellectual property litigation in our industry; our reliance on a limited number of third party manufacturers; the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic; and our lack of long-term supply contracts and dependence on limited sources of supply.