- Gained adoption of STM32L in kit with LoRA(TM) radio connectivity by a key home automation OEM for next-generation home controls;
- Began ramping production of an STM32L0 for a high-volume consumer application at a top manufacturer;
- Secured STM32L4 for finger-print modules with a major PC OEM;
- Earned design wins for STM32F4 in shared connected bike models in China;
- Announced the integration of our contactless NFC technology with MediaTek's mobile platforms;
- Qualified the ST32H480, based on latest embedded e-STM 40nm technology at several South American Telecom operators for secure SIM application;
- Started ramping production of ST25 automotive NFC reader for a key electric vehicle manufacturer;
- Designed in ST25R NFC reader for the first major roll out of NFC-enabled smart furniture with a key household name;
- Awarded a digital ASIC design in 16nm FinFET technology from a leading networking infrastructure solution provider;
- Captured a design-win for an Optical IC in 55nm BiCMOS process technology for application in 100G and 200G web-scale datacenters;
- Began volume ramp of an ASIC in RF-SOI technology for application into a new high-end smartphone from a Chinese manufacturer.
Use of Supplemental Non-U.S. GAAP Financial Information
This press release contains supplemental non-U.S. GAAP financial information, including operating income (loss) before impairment and restructuring charges, operating margin before impairment and restructuring charges, adjusted net earnings per share, free cash flow and net financial position.
Readers are cautioned that these measures are unaudited and not prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP and should not be considered as a substitute for U.S. GAAP financial measures. In addition, such non-U.S. GAAP financial measures may not be comparable to similarly titled information from other companies.
See the Appendix of this press release for a reconciliation of the Company's non-U.S. GAAP financial measures to their corresponding U.S. GAAP financial measures. To compensate for these limitations, the supplemental non-U.S. GAAP financial information should not be read in isolation, but only in conjunction with the Company's consolidated financial statements prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP.
Some of the statements contained in this release that are not historical facts are statements of future expectations and other forward-looking statements (within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 or Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, each as amended) that are based on management's current views and assumptions, and are conditioned upon and also involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results, performance, or events to differ materially from those anticipated by such statements, due to, among other factors:
- Uncertain macro-economic and industry trends, which may impact end-market demand for our products;
- Customer demand that differs from projections;
- The ability to design, manufacture and sell innovative products in a rapidly changing technological environment;
- Unanticipated events or circumstances, which may impact our ability to execute the planned reductions in our net operating expenses and / or meet the objectives of our R&D Programs, which benefit from public funding;
- Changes in economic, social, labor, political, or infrastructure conditions in the locations where we, our customers, or our suppliers operate, including as a result of macro-economic or regional events, military conflicts, social unrest, labor actions, or terrorist activities;
- The Brexit vote and the perceptions as to the impact of the withdrawal of the U.K. may adversely affect business activity, political stability and economic conditions in the U.K., the Eurozone, the EU and elsewhere. While we do not have material operations in the U.K. and have not experienced any material impact from Brexit on our underlying business to date, we cannot predict its future implications;
- Financial difficulties with any of our major distributors or significant curtailment of purchases by key customers;
- The loading, product mix, and manufacturing performance of our production facilities;
- The functionalities and performance of our IT systems, which support our critical operational activities including manufacturing, finance and sales, and any breaches of our IT systems or those of our customers or suppliers;
- Variations in the foreign exchange markets and, more particularly, the U.S. dollar exchange rate as compared to the Euro and the other major currencies we use for our operations;
- The impact of intellectual property ("IP") claims by our competitors or other third parties, and our ability to obtain required licenses on reasonable terms and conditions;
- The ability to successfully restructure underperforming business lines and associated restructuring charges and cost savings that differ in amount or timing from our estimates;
- Changes in our overall tax position as a result of changes in tax laws, the outcome of tax audits or changes in international tax treaties which may impact our results of operations as well as our ability to accurately estimate tax credits, benefits, deductions and provisions and to realize deferred tax assets;
- The outcome of ongoing litigation as well as the impact of any new litigation to which we may become a defendant;
- Product liability or warranty claims, claims based on epidemic or delivery failure, or other claims relating to our products, or recalls by our customers for products containing our parts;
- Natural events such as severe weather, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcano eruptions or other acts of nature, health risks and epidemics in locations where we, our customers or our suppliers operate;
- Availability and costs of raw materials, utilities, third-party manufacturing services and technology, or other supplies required by our operations;
- Industry changes resulting from vertical and horizontal consolidation among our suppliers, competitors, and customers; and
- The ability to successfully ramp up new programs that could be impacted by factors beyond our control, including the availability of critical third party components and performance of subcontractors in line with our expectations.
Such forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties, which may cause actual results and performance of our business to differ materially and adversely from the forward-looking statements. Certain forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of forward looking terminology, such as "believes," "expects," "may," "are expected to," "should," "would be," "seeks" or "anticipates" or similar expressions or the negative thereof or other variations thereof or comparable terminology, or by discussions of strategy, plans or intentions.
Some of these risk factors are set forth and are discussed in more detail in "Item 3. Key Information - Risk Factors" included in our Annual Report on Form 20-F for the year ended December 31, 2016, as filed with the SEC on March 3, 2017. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those described in this release as anticipated, believed, or expected. We do not intend, and do not assume any obligation, to update any industry information or forward-looking statements set forth in this release to reflect subsequent events or circumstances.
STMicroelectronics Conference Call and Webcast Information
On October 26, 2017, the management of STMicroelectronics will conduct a live webcast of its conference call to discuss the Company's operating performance for the third quarter of 2017.
The conference call will be held at 9:30 a.m. CET / 8:30 a.m. BST / 3:30 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time (ET) / 12:30 a.m. U.S. Pacific Time (PT). The live webcast and presentation materials will be available by accessing
investors.st.com Those accessing the webcast should go to the Web site at least 15 minutes prior to the call, in order to register, download and install any necessary audio software. The webcast will be available until November 10, 2017.