Pro/ENGINEER Helps Create World's First Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorbike
PTC announced that award-winning product design and strategy agency Seymourpowell used Pro/ENGINEER exclusively to design the world's first hydrogen powered motorcycle - ENV (Emissions Neutral Vehicle). The design project was commissioned by Intelligent Energy, a fuel cell development company that focuses on the development of new energy technologies. Seymourpowell used Pro/ENGINEER in conjunction with the Interactive Surface Design Extension (ISDX), PTC's surfacing and styling module, and Pro/INTRALINK workgroup data manager for the ENV design process. ENV has been engineered and purpose-built from the ground up, to demonstrate the everyday applicability of fuel cell technology. The intelligent energy fuel cell is completely detachable from the bike, is radically compact and efficient and is capable of powering anything from a motorboat to the electricity for a small home. The ENV motorcycle is lightweight, streamlined and aerodynamic. It outperforms any existing electrical bike. In an urban or off-road environment, it can reach speeds of 50 mph. It is also virtually silent and its emissions are almost completely clean. On a full tank, the ENV can be used continuously for up to four hours without refuelling. The bike has no gears and is strictly defined as a motorbike, although it feels to riders more like a quick and responsive mountain bike.
UGS To Publish JT Reference
UGS Corp. announced plans to publish a reference to the latest version of the JT data format (JT), a 3D data format used throughout the global manufacturing industry to enable product visualization, collaboration and data sharing, thus enabling easy access to JT for the millions of end users and software suppliers who benefit from the technology. The governing body of the JT Open Program - a global community of manufacturers, PLM suppliers, and academic institutions around the world - unanimously agreed to recommend UGS take immediate action to publish JT to more quickly promote its ongoing development, proliferation, and support. By publishing a reference to the JT file format, UGS hopes to facilitate broader adoption of the format and ensuring its long-term viability as an industry standard. This action elevates the industry's confidence in deploying JT for all its PLM business processes including digital representations of 3D product models and drawings, as well as product-related publishing, visualization, data archival and supplier collaboration. UGS plans to have the JT reference ready to publish during the fourth quarter of 2006. More details will be announced later this year.
"MythBusters" Appear At SolidWorks World 2006
Can you spark a gasoline fire with a cell phone? Is yawning contagious? Can Pop Rocks and soda be a lethal combination? "MythBusters" Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, who answer questions like these for a living on their weekly Discovery Channel TV show, made an appearance at SolidWorks World 2006, using SolidWorks CAD software integrated with COSMOS analysis capabilities to illustrate the facts behind the myths they bust every week. The duo kicked off the annual conference in front of more than 3,500 SolidWorks users, showing models from the "MythBusters" program and M5 Industries Inc., the visual effects company that is the home of the show. The "MythBusters" team used SolidWorks to model an exotic-fueled rocket for their upcoming fourth season and used SolidWorks' COSMOSWorks analysis software to analyze structural issues that affected its dramatic flight. While the duo is known for fast, furious, and in some cases explosive builds for the show, they are using SolidWorks and COSMOS software behind the scenes to analyze the problematic situations they investigate.
Jeffrey Rowe is the editor and publisher of MCADCafé and MCAD Weekly Review. He can be reached here or 408.850.9230.
This WeekLead Story
- PTC Reports Q1 Fiscal Year 2006 Results
- PTC Announces Two-For-Five Reverse Stock Split
- Kubotek Announces Tool To Unlock Geometry
- Moldflow's Shotscope 4.1 Monitors And Optimize Injection Molding And Metal Die Casting Processes
- Right Hemisphere 3D Technology Licensed By Adobe And Embedded In New Adobe Acrobat 3D Software
- New Version Of AxSTREAM Announced
- Z Corp. Has 50-Percent Revenue Growth In 2005
- Vibrant And ATA Launch VibraSuite For Mechanical Test & Analysis
- Mathsoft Introduces "Calculation Management"
- GCS Earns SolidWorks Certified Gold Product Status
- McLaren Software Simplifies Global-Engineering Projects
- European Seminars On Innovation Reflect Worldwide Interest In JT As Common 3D Language For PLM
- Serbian University Will Receive PLM Software From UGS
- GibbsCAM Showcased At SolidWorks World 2006
- Fluent Partners With Utah State University In DOE Nuclear Energy Research Initiative Grant
- Poncin Yachts Uses ESI Group's PAM-RTM For Simulating Manufacturing Composite Components
- InfoTEC To Supply Delcam With Its Routers
- Stratasys Adds Metal
- Autodesk Recognizes WaveLoch As Inventor Of The Month
- Alibre Design the New CAD Platform for Collaboration: The Open Prosthetics Project Shares Free Designs
- Fibertek Selects SofTech ProductCenter PLM For Integrated Engineering/Manufacturing
- Availl Software Accelerates CAD File Sharing
- Speed Doubles With Stratasys Eden350V PolyJet
- Delcam Assists Ski Boot Mold Maker
- Manufacturer Reports Positive Outcomes Of Serviceability Studies Using Kineo Path Planner
- Intergraph Introduces SmartPlant Layout For Preliminary 3D Plant Layout
- Rapidform Add-in Portal Offers Users New 3D Scan Processing Functionality
- Curt Manufacturing Selects Infor ERP
- Delcam Sets New Sales Record In December 2005
- Winner Selected for IBSystemsMini iPOD Sweepstakes
- SAP Reports 18% Software Revenue Growth For 2005
- Manufacturing Firms Are Increasingly Using Grid Computing For "Grunt Work" Complex Modeling And Design Activities
- KUKA Robotics Installs First Stainless Steel Robot In North America
- WhereNet Announces "Quick-Start" Program For Automotive Industry
- Engineering Document Enterprise Search Engine Elmo Search 2005 Honored With Award
- January Employment Growth Remains Stable For Manufacturing
- AspenTech Launches Applications For Heat Exchanger Design, Rating, And Simulation
- Boeing Nears 737-900ER Design Completion
- LearnTthe True Cost Of Electronics Manufacturing In 20+ Geographies
- Automotive Aftermarket In China Demand To Reach $4.9 Billion In 2009
- General Dynamics Awarded Contract For New Stryker Vehicle Variants
- Digitise Becomes DesignDataManager VAR
- Centric Software Global Webinar: "Grow Your Brand; Maximize Your Revenue"
- Free Webinar On STAR-CCM+ And The Value Of CAE In Education
- Autodesk COO To Present At Merrill Lynch IT Conference
- SoftInWay Selected For DaratechSUMMIT2006 On PLM
- PTC CEO Speaking At Merrill Lynch Conference
- MSC.Software CEO To Present At Merrill Lynch IT Conference
- PLM Interest Group Announces February Workshop
- Synergis Software To Showcase Adept Engineering Document Management Software
You can find the full MCADCafe event calendar here.
To read more news, click here.
-- Jeff Rowe, MCADCafe.com Contributing Editor.