All in all, a very entertaining (literally) and informative couple of days with HP as they introduced their newest hardware platforms.
The Week's Top 5
At MCADCafé we track many things, including the stories that have attracted the most interest from our subscribers. Below are the five news items that were the most viewed during last week.
Autodesk 2011 Digital Prototyping Software Accelerates Design Process for Manufacturers
Autodesk introduced its new 2D and 3D design and engineering software lineup for manufacturers seeking to digitally design, visualize, and simulate their products before they are built. The tight technology integration offered by Autodesk Inventor 2011 software and the complete Autodesk Digital Prototyping software portfolio helps enable designers and engineers to compete more effectively and do more work in house. Autodesk enhanced its specialized tools for product development professionals focused on conceptual design, design visualization, engineering and manufacturing disciplines, and at the same time, the company embedded key functionality from these tools within its core Autodesk Inventor 3D mechanical design and engineering software. New direct manipulation capabilities in Inventor 2011 software fundamentally improve the mechanical design process, helping accelerate design times as compared with Inventor 2010 software by approximately 40 percent on common tasks such as assembly modeling. Inventor 2011 software also incorporates Autodesk's design visualization capabilities within the CAD application so users can better conceptualize and communicate designs with clients. New shading, lighting and material properties give users a photo-realistic representation of their designs, with Inventor software rendering designs as the user works.
HP Technology Fuels IndyCars to Checkered Flag
HP workstations, mobile PCs, and HP OfficeJet printers are used to design the cars and manage everything from the telemetry to the engine of the team's car during the race for the Luczo Dragon Racing team. Using HP technology, the Luczo Dragon Racing team is able to maximize performance on and off the track. HP technology is used in every aspect of performance, engineering, reliability, management, mobility, robustness, raw computing power and design. Off the track, engineers use powerful HP workstations to enhance parts design, data collection, storage, analysis, simulation and optimization. To prepare for each race, engineers on the Luczo Dragon Racing team run simulations to understand how the car's setup will affect performance for a given track. The team needs to understand the behavior of the car and the effect of changes in performance. On the track, the team uses HP notebooks to monitor every move the car makes and remotely adjust suspension, telemetry and engine systems for optimal performance during every second of the race. While the car speeds around the track at 220 miles per hour, it is critical for the team to be able to analyze the information they're receiving from sensors on the car and immediately understand where performance deficits may lie.
Alibre brings power of Luxion's KeyShot rendering solution to its customers
Luxion, a developer of advanced rendering and lighting technology, and Alibre, developer of feature-rich and low cost CAD/CAM software, announced that starting immediately KeyShot technology will be bundled with Alibre Design Expert and Professional. For under $500 customers can get 3D modeling and 2D drafting, and enjoy stunningly realistic product visualization. KeyShot is an interactive ray tracing and illumination program developed by Luxion for both PC and Mac for creating photographic images from 3D models. KeyShot is the new name for HyperShot software. Combined with its ease of use KeyShot gives anyone involved with 3D data the ability to create photographic images in minutes, independent of the size of the digital model. KeyShot supports many native file formats, including SolidWorks, Rhino, SketchUp, Obj, IGES, and STEP.
Apriso Joins Dassault Systèmes Software Partner Community
Apriso and Dassault Systèmes announced that a Component Application Architecture (CAA) Software Partnership Agreement has been signed. Under this agreement, Apriso will deliver the integration between its suite of applications and Dassault Systemes' DELMIA digital manufacturing solutions. This new combined solution addresses the challenge of sharing information between design and planning and production execution. Synchronizing Engineering Change Requests (ECRs) from digital manufacturing systems with the actual physical production processes ensures correct component version and process plans are used consistently in manufacturing and assembly. Apriso's CAA V5 partnership with Dassault Systèmes addresses customer needs in the following areas:
- Business Integration to propagate configured product, process plan and work instructions from design and process planning to the execution system in a change controlled environment.
- 3D Visual Production to enable shop floor users to visualize product and process information in 3D and to record information directly by selecting components or parts.
VX Corp. announced the expansion of its VX Innovator series. VX's built-in learning system, Show-n-Tell, helps users get up to speed quickly since they essentially learn the software on their own. The new products announced included:
- Innovator Lite is a low-cost product that is an introduction to VX. It is a good starting point for new users and engineering managers as a viewing and markup tool. This product provides a set of design and assembly tools for building models and mechanisms. Users can quickly create 2D layouts and export models for manufacturing and RP.
- VX Innovator contains a set of 3D solid, surface, and assembly modeling tools for conceptual and mechanical design. Innovator provides all of the tools for delivering 2D drawing layouts of parts and assemblies including BOMs. This solution also includes a complete set of translators for communication with customers and suppliers.
- VX Innovator Pro offers all of the functionality of VX Innovator but includes the wireframe and freeform surfacing tools of VX Designer to help designers. It competes with the best high-end Class-A surface modelers, yet still builds assemblies and provides complete 2D drafting and layout. VX Innovator PRO is the next step for someone who needs more power than VX Innovator, but does not need all the tools of VX Designer.
- VX Innovator NC delivers the tools to handle 2D machining tasks. Intelligent hole drilling and auto feature milling can reduce programming and machining time. VX Innovator NC also includes all of the CAM management and reporting tools of high-end offerings.
HP Expands Workstation Series to Include Desk-side, Mobile and Small Form Factor Model
Product and Company News
Autodesk Launches 2011 Design Software Products with Enhanced 3D Features
Autodesk Expands Power of AutoCAD 2011 with New Features for Conceptual Design and Drafting Productivity
Virtual Tool & Composites Inc. Invest in 7 Seats of NCG CAM for 3+2 axis Machining
RND Automation Tackles One-of-a-Kind Machines with Autodesk Inventor
View CAD Drawings on iPhone Through Microsoft Seadragon Deep Zoom Technology From Informative Graphics
NCG CAM Solutions Ltd Opens Local Office in India Due to Growing Demand
Autodesk Drives Global Alignment of New Partner Program
Switch from 2D to 3D with KOMPAS solutions
Aftermarket Auto Parts Leader Lund International Cuts Product Development Time by 40 Percent Using Z Corporation 3D Scanner and Geomagic Studio Software
64-bit, multi-core WorkNC and Sescoi's all new Hybrid Modeler on show at Industrie, Paris
INUS Releases Inspectworks 2.0 for SolidWorks
You can find the full MCADCafe event calendar here.
To read more news, click here.
-- Jeff Rowe, MCADCafe.com Contributing Editor.