Issues typically found using a PDM as a document management solution in a multi-CAD environment:
- Many PDM systems require the full CAD application be loaded on the client (e.g., Inventor) for viewing, consuming expensive licenses
- PDMs from OEMs different than the CAD program (e.g., EPDM handling AutoCAD), typically provide minimal support for those files and often cannot manage reference file relationships well
- Most file format plug-ins are not forward compatible, most are backward compatible, necessitating use of the latest version, and so requiring maintenance, if accepting files older than the current PDM version
- Most PDM plug-ins for CAD allow file management but without automatic meta-data or reference support
- The meta-data stored in the file, parent-child relationships, custom properties, external references (XRefs) is processed by the preinstalled file format plug-in but if the plug-in fails, for any reason, the file specific features may not work properly even though the file is added to the PDM
- Some SolidEdge and Pro-E files require a 32-bit operating system while most PDMs are currently 64-bit
- Your PDM plug-in for specific CAD packages may lag the release of the new CAD package and prevents clean transfer of files
- EPDM in a multi-site environment does not have the ability to replicate the database, only the files; if for some reason communications is lost, there is no traffic cop to manage permissions for checked out files
- If managing Inventor files, data cards have to be filled out manually
- The title block is typically derived from the data card so if there is a problem with the data card or you have to manually enter it, those issues flow through to the title block.
If you would like more information click here.